In my preview, I predicted that Spurs would dictate the tempo of the game, dominate possession and turn created chances into goals. How wrong was I? It seemed like the complete opposite. We look like a different team without Mousa Dembele, a midfield maestro, someone who is willing to run at the opposition from midfield. The Belgian doesn’t make the same impact from the bench as he does when he starts. We were the better team going in at the break but couldn’t find that cutting edge, which as a fan is incredibly nerve racking because you always think in the back of your mind that West Ham would go on a break and score.
A 1-0 defeat to arch rivals West Ham United means that they’ll play top flight football next season. A Lanzini goal just after the hour mark was the difference between the sides. West Ham boss Slaven Bilic said “We deserved the win. We had a game plan and we had a pattern. It was a great team display.” That defeat to the Hammers mean we can’t decrease the deficit from Chelsea to just one point, it stands at four. Chelsea welcome 19th placed Middlesborough to Stamford Bridge today. If Chelsea secure all three points at home, the trophy should be presented to them straight after the game. Middlesborough might do us a favour but time is really running out.
A massive talking point throughout the week, before yesterday’s game and after the game was Kyle Walker’s future. Many Spurs fans messaged me with their point of view, you’ll see their thoughts in the comments section. If you want to feature in one of my articles, make sure you message me on Twitter (@TylerRose__). The England international has been linked with some of the world’s biggest clubs: Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG… The list goes on. The right back has been instrumental throughout, always gives his all, shows his passion on and off of the pitch. The West Ham game was a different show, myself and other fans could see his head was in the wrong place. Fans calling for Kieran Trippier to substitute him. Walker lost many 50/50 battles and was second in a two-horse race against West Ham United’s goal-scorer Lanzini. For me, Kyle Walker stays. His pace is his biggest attribute, technically, he’s second behind back-up Kieran Trippier.
Tottenham Hotspur’s manager Mauricio Pochettino believes the title race is not over but admits it’ll be even more difficult following a defeat to Slaven Bilic’s men. The Argentine went on to say that the first half was impressive, the domination of possession and good chances that we created showed we were a level above them. The away players started the second half really sloppy and that allowed West Ham to grow into the game and they started creating chances then they scored the only goal in the game.
- @edxlogy- I want Walker out. We deserved to lose, there was no fight in the team despite the circumstances.
- @bspurs25- Kyle Walker walked around all night, didn’t put a shift in. West Ham were well organised and we struggled to break them down. Dele Alli and Heung-Min Son were very quiet.
- @DazJudge1- I don’t think anyone deserved to lose. It was a very poor game to watch. Not a lot of chances created. I think Bilic knew how to set up against us. Kyle Walker isn’t anywhere near as good as Kieran Trippier when defending, he also leaves too many gaps at the back when he flies forward.
- @CwWilson123- We were useless against West Ham, no passion or desire. It’s one of our biggest games and there was no emotion, fight or hunger. Walker struggled today, constantly sulking and his mind definitely wasn’t set on the game. When defending, Walker wasn’t aware of anyone around him. Trippier is a good player but not good enough to become a First Team regular. At the right price and right replacement, Kyle Walker can leave.
- @KadeemGutzmore- Trippier over Walker for me. We didn’t have that magic to unlock West Ham United’s defence. The longer the game was 0-0, West Ham’s game plan of the smash and grab always looked on the cards.
- @VICTORWANYAMA- From what I saw of the game, I felt Walker didn’t have the hunger needed to play. I think the stories are impacting him. However, he’s been class for us and I really do like him, my opinion is that he is the best right back in the Premier League. Walker in.
- @RudiGoodman- It was a very tough game in which West Ham had a hard game plan. They defended brilliantly and attacked in numbers. It was obvious that Harry Kane couldn’t handle a three man back line so Vincent Janssen should have played. Mousa Dembele should have started. Walker out? No way. He had a poor game, on his day, he is impeccable. Although, if his mind is elsewhere then he should leave. You don’t want someone playing for the club if they’re going to ruin our team spirit. Spurs will bounce back next year.
- @mjgspurs- We were never at it tonight. Thought Walker had an okay game but Trippier was good when he came on. West Ham was up for the game and they probably did edge it. We have to focus on the next three games to ensure we finish second.
- @MarkWiegold86- I think Kyle Walker’s head has been turned, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left in the summer.
- @gloryglorytott- We were terrible from the off tonight. Pochettino knew that from the first minute. I would like Kyle Walker to stay, I actually thought he should have been our club captain when Hugo Lloris got it.
- @traceylambert69- Walker was poor tonight and I think it’s because of the transfer rumours. The situation is going to help us. I personally like him but he should stay on the bench until he’s mentally fit.
- @HerefordSpurs- West Ham United sat deep and we just couldn’t break them down. We tend to struggle when teams have that game plan against us. The goal that we conceded was a shambles. Eric Dier at fault, he was appealing with his arms up in the air instead of defending. Off night, poor performance. The teams and club will always be bigger than any individual, Walker out.
- @AlexKyri_- After that performance, Walker should go. He didn’t care, he knows he’s going. We can get £30m+ for him, he’s the best in the league. Trippier is more than capable of stepping up to the plate. I really like Kieran Trippier, his delivery is excellent and always plays an easy pass. He is not like Walker, Trippier has a brain.
Do you agree with the comments? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!