Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Chester FC | Tranmere’s goalscoring woes continue on Derby Day

1,198 Chester fans made the short journey up the M53 to watch their side secure a hard fought point away at underachieving Tranmere Rovers.

Chester spent the vast majority of the game on the back foot, with goalkeeper Alex Lynch the hero as he denied clear goal scoring opportunities from James Norwood and new loan-signing Gerry McDonagh.

Rovers, who were sat in 14th place in the National League on Saturday morning, had been tipped for the National League title by the bookmakers during pre-season.

However a tough start for the season for Micky Mellon’s side meant that they had to settle for a mid-table spot going in to Saturday’s derby with the Blues.

Tranmere started the game on top, dominating possession and continuously breaking into the final third. Their first opportunity came when Norwood struck a volley from the edge of the box, which was palmed over by a superb Alex Lynch.

Chester’s first opportunity came as Ross Hannah collected the ball on the edge of the box but dragged his shot well wide of the far post.

The biggest controversy of the first half happened on 25 minutes as Norwood, back in the action again, touched the ball past Lynch before going down in the box, screams for a penalty waved off by the referee.

The final key action of the first half came when Rovers’ Connor Jennings hit a well-timed volley – pushed away again by Lynch in the Chester net.

Chester went into the break on the back foot but came out on the front, James Akintunde finding Tom Shaw, whose effort was blocked by Steve McNulty on 51 minutes.

Akintunde was involved again, as he picked up the ball, beat a tackle but then fired over from 30 yards.

New loan-signing Gerry McDonagh was then introduced by the hosts and he was quick into the action, getting in behind the defence but his effort was matched by Lynch. Another tremendous save for the Man of the Match.

Tranmere’s best chance came on 81 minutes, as Jennings’ effort deflected off Ryan Astles and struck the Blues’ post.

Tranmere’s last notable effort was just before stoppage time as a cross was met by McNulty, but his header eased wide of the post.

The Blues rode their luck throughout the ninety minutes but as the referee blew the full-time whistle, a great sense of relief swept around the 1200 travelling fans.

Despite spending the vast majority of the game as second best, a splendid display from ‘keeper Alex Lynch gave the Blues a hard but well-fought point on the Wirral.

Attendance: 7172 (1198 from Chester)

Tranmere and Chester fans, what did you make of the game? Let us know in the comments below!