Rochdale 0-4 Huddersfield Town


Written by Morgan Lecomber

Huddersfield blew away their League One opponents Rochdale as they cruised to a 4-0 victory to reach the last 16 of the Emirates FA Cup.

3,471 expectant Huddersfield fans made the short journey to watch the Terriers at Spotland.

David Wagner made 8 changes to his previous line-up against Ipswich, whilst an injury hit Rochdale were forced to rotate their squad for the 4th round clash.

Only eight minutes had passed before Rochdale boss Keith Hill was making his first substitution as Mark Kitching came on for Calvin Andrew who suffered concussion after an aerial duel.

Surprisingly it was Dale creating the best of the chances in the opening half hour, with Peter Vincenti heading tamely at Joel Coleman from inside the six yard box.

Huddersfield weren’t looking their usual selves and were finding it hard to get their game going.

In the 33rd minute, Ian Henderson capitalised on a under-hit back pass from Mark Hudson, he then rounded helpless goalkeeper Coleman before rushing with his shot and firing wide of the open target.

It took the Championship side until the 38th minute to get their first shot on target of the afternoon, Phillip Billing fired low, but Conrad Logan was equal to the midfielder’s fierce strike.

But only two minutes later, Huddersfield were ahead and the fingers were being pointed at Logan. A poor goal-kick was picked up by Town, Izzy Brown was played in behind the Rochdale defence and he unselfishly set up Collin Quaner to open his account for Huddersfield on his debut.

David Wagner opted to make a double substitution at the break, Elias Kachunga and Harry Bunn were replaced by Jonathan Hogg and Micheal Hefele.

Dale looked positive in the opening stages of the second period, but Joel Coleman wouldn’t let any of the home sides half chances past him.

Town were all but through to the 5th round in the 66th minute. Mark Hudson was dragged down in the area by the clumsy Dale defender following a corner, Izzy Brown stepped up to the spot and sent Logan the wrong way, placing it in the bottom right corner.

Australian star Aaron Mooy entered the fray for the remaining quarter of the match, and he was the man to create Huddersfield’s third to wrap up the tie. His curling free-kick was met by fellow substitute Micheal Hefele who bundled his header past Logan.

Rochdale could’ve had a consolation in the last ten minutes when Donal McDermott drilled in a ball across goal, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis came to Town’s rescue as he cleared off the line.

There was just enough time for fan favourite Micheal Hefele to add a fourth for Huddersfield after some intricate passing found its way to Collin Quaner who squared for Hefele to finish off a great move.

Rochdale will feel disheartened by the final result, which did give an unfair look on the hosts, but they were ultimately beaten by the better team on the day as they failed to reach the last 16 of the competition yet again.

Huddersfield did find it hard in the early stages but improved as the match flowed on. Their reward for reaching the 5th round is a home tie against Premier League outfit Manchester City. David Wagner will be looking to upset Pep Guardiola at a packed John Smith’s Stadium in a few weeks time.

Huddersfield fans, do you fancy an upset against Manchester City? Let us know your thoughts on this years cup run in the comments below!