Report: Hull City vs Burnley

Marco Silva’s Tigers started with a line up which has been unusual in the recent weeks. Changes from Niasse, Markovic and Clucas allowed Mbokani, Elmohamady and Maloney to step in. The home side were left frustrated after drawing 1-1 with Burnley. The frustration came from dominating the away side but only picking up a point. Hull had more possession, shots and free-kicks, but failed to capitalise. The home sides fans and players were even more irritated after failing to keep another set-piece out this season. Both Robbie Brady and George Boyd returned to the KCOM stadium with the travelling side.

There was various chances from sides from the beginning. Burnley were the first of the sides to come close. A free-kick was given for a foul Joey Barton at the half-way line. The ball was floated in to the back post for centre-back Ben Mee to try and push it across the goal, but it got lodged between the ‘keepers arms and the near post. The ball then went dead.

New signing, Grosicki, came the closest for the tigers in the first half. A beautifully set up 1-2 between Maloney and Huddlestone allowed the rejuvenated midfielder to continue his run before being dragged to a halt by Westwood. A free-kick lined up perfectly for an ambidextrous Grosicki. The set-piece started with so much promise until it shot just over the bar. All afternoon Burnley tried the same tactic and was largely bereft of ideas. The one time the “hit the ball up field”  tactic worked,  Andre Gray spurred his chance and lashed it wide from the right hand side angle of the goal. The defense consisting of giant Andrea Ranocchia and buffed up Harry Maguire made sure that was the only chance the away side had in free play.

Photo: Hull City

Another chance for the home side was nearly tucked away in the second-half. N’Diaye has the ball in midfield and pushed it wide to Elmohamady and getting a ball in return further down the right wing. The ball was sent off to the Egyptian winger who hit a ball in first time to Mbokani. The DR Congo international invited Grosicki into the box to hit a first time shot to curl into the far corner, the hearts were swallowed by everyone in the stadium as the ball drifted past the post with such pace.

Again the Polish winger had a shot but this one deflected out for a corner. The corner was swung into the mixer, right in that sweet penalty spot, an even sweeter decision came from the Martin Atkinson (referee) as he pointed to the spot for a hand ball from Centre-back Michael Keane. Ashley Barnes was booked for arguing with the ref and the box was cleared for Huddlestone to have his mark on the game. Tom Huddlestone scored a penalty in the historic home win against United (EFL cup) earlier this season, could he do it again against Burnley? The midfielder hit the ball with his right foot to the left bottom corner. The goalkeeper got his hand to it, a dead silent split-second fell around the stadium, in the other half of the second there was euphoria! A rapture of pure emotion fell around the KCOM as the ball squirmed past Tom Heaton’s hand and in to make it 1-0 to the Tigers!

Hull 1-0 Burnley

5 minutes later the claret and blues won a corner, former Hull corner taker Robbie Brady, swung his delivery quite deep, which missed everyone jumping for it and reached Michael Keane, the ball bounced off his chest and he ran and toe prodded it home from the six-yard area. The goal scorer redeemed himself from the mistake he made only 5 minutes earlier.

Photo: Hull City

Hull 1-1 Burnley

Hull were in desperate search of a win and pounded the away defence with crosses and shots. Burnley got the ball up field to relieve some pressure, Ashley Barnes (already on a yellow) jumped to get the ball with Ranocchia which the forward went up with his elbow and hit the defender in the face, this resulted in a second yellow and a red card for Barnes.