Newport County vs Grimsby Town Match Report

Newport County vs Grimsby Town Match Report

Last update: 24 September 2017 Tags: Newport County, Grimsby Town. Categories: League Two.

Written by Caitlin Bennett

After a loss away to Morecambe last week, Newport were hoping to restore some faith this weekend with a return to Rodney Parade. With the table being close, Grimsby Town were looking for 3 points after being unbeaten in their previous two games.

Grimsby began strongly and had the first chance of the game, in the 4th minute, after Newport captain, Joss Labadie, conceded a free kick 30 yards out. The free kick was taken and landed safely in the hands of goalkeeper, Joe Day.

A chance came for Newport in the 10th minute of the game after the ball went out for a Newport corner. A deep ball was delivered and managed to bobble in Sean Rigg’s direction, who fired a half volley just wide of goal.

Grimsby were quick to reply at the other end of the pitch with a chance, in the 11th minute, for the away side to open the scoring. The ball, crossed in from the right, bounced to meet Dixon, who only managed to find the side netting with his headed attempt.

With Newport, at this point, looking the stronger side, Grimsby goalkeeper, McKeown, did well to keep the home side from scoring in the 15th minute of the game, making two saves in quick succession. The first save was made to the right of goal after a strike from Newport’s Mark O’Brien and the second save as a result of a strike from 18 yards out by Ben Tozer.

In the 22nd minute, County came close after a foul on Labadie resulted in a free kick. Willmott whipped the ball towards the near post which seemed to bounce between both teams before going out for a corner, from which nothing came.

A few minutes later, in the 34th minute, Grimsby were lucky again with another off the line clearance. Grimsby captain, Clarke, intercepted Amond’s shot, keeping the game 0-0.

A cross in the 38th minute of the game gave the away side the opportunity to lead, after the ball found Jamille Matt. However, his header was comfortably caught by Joe Day in the Newport goal.

Newport continued to battle for a goal and were awarded a corner in the 44th minute. Two shots from Ben White and Mark O’Brien were blocked in a busy six-yard box. Mickey Demetriou’s header was also cleared off the line.

The whistle blew for half time. Michael Flynn’s side undoubtedly questioning how they hadn’t found the back of the net in the first half.

Both sides re-entered the pitch for the second half and the game recommenced with no real chances occurring until the 57th minute. Robbie Willmott’s free kick found Tozer and Demetriou, who both managed to get a head on it before goalkeeper, McKeown, could claim it.

In the 63rd minute, Newport finally produced. Tozer’s throw found Nouble whose flick on fell to Amond for him to poke the ball and bury it in the opposition’s goal. 1-0 to Newport.

Newport goalkeeper, Joe Day, did well in the 73rd minute after his excellent save stopped the away side from equalising after close range effort from Jaiyesimi.

With a lack of chances for either side in the second half, the final chance of the game fell for Grimsby, after Newport’s Dan Butler conceded a free kick as a result of a foul outside of the box. The free kick was taken which fell to Summerfield who shot at goal, but the ball went just wide.

The fourth official signalled 5 minutes added time in which no other attempts at goal were made by either side. The final whistle blew to clarify Newport’s 1-0 victory at Rodney Parade thanks to Amond’s goal.

Although finishing still seems to be the problem for Newport, 3 points took the Exiles to eighth in the league.

Newport and Grimsby fans, what are your thoughts on the game? Let us know in the comments below!