Newport County 0-3 Oxford United - Carabao Cup 2nd Round

Newport County 0-3 Oxford United - Carabao Cup 2nd Round

Last update: 4 September 2018 Tags: Newport County. Categories: League Two, League Cup.

Attendance: 2,228 (282 away)


Newport County welcomed Oxford United to Rodney Parade last week in hopes that they could advance into the third round of the Carabao Cup. The hosts easily beat Cambridge 1-4 at the Abbey Stadium earlier this month, solidifying their place in the second round against League One's Oxford.


In the first minute of the game, Oxford took the lead after a counter attack from the away side resulted in an own goal from Newport’s Mickey Demetriou. The error was made from the centre-back in the box after a cross in from Luke Garbutt. Demetriou miss-kicked the ball and buried it in his own net.


Soon after, in the 4th minute of the game, the visiting side buried a second. Shandon Baptiste found the back of the net after he finalised a run through the centre with a strike past County goalkeeper, Nick Townsend, doubling his team’s lead.


Newport’s first chance of the game came in the 9th minute when striker, Jamille Matt, headed at goal from the centre of the box, however, his attempt was just wide of the post.


Newport came close again in the 30th minute after Antoine Semenyo’s quick feet in the box saw him deliver a ball which found Matt in front of goal again. His attempt was then saved by Oxford goalkeeper, Jonathan Mitchell.


Both teams re-entered the pitch for the second half with the home side 2 goals down.


In the 49th minute, Newport had their 9th shot of the game with Forbes firing high and wide of the goal. The Exiles still looked dominated by the visitors.


A substitution was made for Oxford in the 61st minute, which saw John Obika replaced by James Henry.


In hopes of a new burst of energy, Newport County’s Keanu Marsh-Brown replaced Charlie Cooper after 66 minutes.


Newport were failing to create chances and Padraig Amond was brought on for Jamille Matt in the 68th minute. This substitute immediately increased the tempo of County’s attack, however, Newport failed to finalise any created chances.


With the visiting side still leading comfortably, they made a second substitution in the 75th minute with Cameron Brannagan being brought on for John Ruffels. County also made their third and final substitution in the 75th minute with Josh Sheehan replacing captain, Andrew Crofts, in midfield.


Just two minutes later, Oxford’s Jamie Hanson received a straight red card after a foul on Newport’s Antoine Semenyo. This challenge brought Semenyo's game to an end, meaning that both teams were now level at 10 men.


A foul on Newport’s Amond saw Garbutt receive a yellow card in the 88th minute. Newport were awarded a free-kick as a result, however, Butler hit the ball just wide of the right post.


Oxford sealed their win in the 91st minute of the game with a goal scored by Gavin Whyte, who managed to get on the end of Garbutt’s cross, heading home to put his team 0-3 up.


The second round of the cup saw Newport County dominated by Oxford United, who will now proceed to the third round of the competition.