National League Round-Up | Matchday 5 (19th August)

National League Round-Up | Matchday 5 (19th August)

Last update: 21 August 2017 Tags: National League. Categories: Featured, National League.

After some thrilling encounters in midweek, the National League's Saturday matches followed suit. Here's the round-up of the best bits from England's fifth tier.

SUTTON UNITED moved to the summit of the National League thanks to a stoppage time winner from forward Kieron Cadogan at CHESTER.

A woeful opening 45 minutes from the Blues saw them 2-0 down through United's Louis John and Tommy Wright. However a curled effort from winger Craig Mahon in added time gave Chester a lifeline going into the second half.

The U's had a goal from a free kick disallowed before Lucas Dawson drew the Blues level in the 63rd minute.

Both Chester and Sutton fought for the winner but the U's hard work was paid off when Kieron Cadogan chipped goalkeeper Conor Mitchell to send the South London outfit home with three points.

GUISELEY also scored a last minute winner in a crucial 3-2 win against fellow relegation candidates TORQUAY UNITED.

The home side opened the scoring on 13 minutes through Jake Lawlor but The Gulls quickly turned the game on its head when Sean McGinty and Ruairi Keating both scored in the space of just two minutes.

Torquay held the lead until late on when Kevan Hurst equalised for the hosts before Torquay's Ruairi Keating scored a deflected own goal in stoppage time to give Guiseley all three points.

ALDERSHOT TOWN lost their first game of the season away at BOREHAM WOOD after a poor opening 45 minutes from the visitors.

The Shots went into the game at the top of the National League but this was soon dashed after goals from Bruno Andrade and Shaun Jeffers gave the hosts a 2-0 lead at the break.

Cheye Alexander's 51st minute strike gave Aldershot hope but Boreham Wood held the lead and took all three points, removing Aldershot from the top of the table.

HARTLEPOOL UNITED's winless start to the season continued after a 2-0 away defeat at promotion chasing BROMLEY.

Bromley moved to 2nd in the table, their highest position in the National League since promotion in 2015, thanks to goals from Josh Rees and Luke Wanadio.

Hartlepool remain in the relegation zone with just two points, whilst Bromley remain unbeaten.

GATESHEAD ran out 3-0 winners at home to a MACCLESFIELD TOWN side with just one win to their name.

Fraser Kerr opened a scoring on just 5 minutes with a simple tap-in before Jordan Burrow headed home in the first half's stoppage time.

Jordan Preston completed the scoring in the second half to give the home side the victory.

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE salvaged a draw on the road against newly-promoted AFC FYLDE.

The hosts opened the scoring through Henry Jones before the visitors equalised on 45 minutes thanks to a Morgan Ferrier strike.

Simon Grand put the home side back in front in the 85th minute but Sam Ling scored a dramatic stoppage time equaliser to send the Daggers home relieved.

DOVER ATHLETIC continued their relatively decent start to the season after coming from behind to draw at home to BARROW.

After a goalless opening 45 minutes, Jordan White opened the scoring for the visitors but Ryan Bird headed home 19 minutes later to split the points.

LEYTON ORIENT kept a clean sheet on their travels to the Kingfield Stadium against WOKING.

Both sides went into the break goalless but a brace from Macauley Bonne gave Orient the points in a solid response to the 6-1 defeat at Bromley in midweek.

MAIDENHEAD UNITED and EBBSFLEET UNITED shared the points after a 1-1 draw, keeping The Fleet unbeaten from 31 league matches.

Maidenhead opened the scoring on 26 minutes through Harry Pritchard before fellow promoted side Ebbsfleet responded in the second half through Luke Coulson.

TRANMERE ROVERS' woeful start to the season continued after a dismal 2-0 loss away at EASTLEIGH.

Two second half goals from Ben Williamson and Craig McAllister gave the high flying Southern side the 3 points, whilst Tranmere fans called for the removal of manager Micky Mellon, prior to the game.

An action-packed 2-1 win for MAIDSTONE UNITED at home to WREXHAM lifted them away from the relegation zone.

All three goals came in the opening 45 minutes, starting when Alex Reid put the visitors in front. Maidstone responded just five minutes later through Alex Wynter before they took the lead thanks to a Jack Richards finish.

Wrexham were reduced to nine men in the second half after Manny Smith gave away a penalty and Mark Carrington was removed for dissent. The penalty was not converted but Maidstone still held on for the three points.

SOLIHULL MOORS' woes continued to show as they lost 1-0 at home to FC HALIFAX TOWN.

Adam Morgan scored the only goal of the game on 28 minutes, after an impressive counter attack.

Solihull remain in the relegation zone, above Torquay but below Hartlepool and Chester.

Thanks for reading this week's National League round-up! Be sure to follow my Twitter @BullionsCFC to keep up-to-date with my articles.