Millwall 2-3 Sheffield United - Lions Now Winless In Seven After Cruel Defeat To Blades

Millwall 2-3 Sheffield United - Lions Now Winless In Seven After Cruel Defeat To Blades

Last update: 1 October 2018 Tags: Millwall, Sheffield United. Categories: Championship, Featured.

MILLWALL are now winless in seven Championship games after cruelly losing a five goal thriller against Sheffield United at The Den.

Ben Amos saved Billy Sharp's first half penalty but Sharp would not be denied as he would head the Blades in front just before the break. The game changed in the first five minutes of the second half, as goals from Jake Cooper and Lee Gregory turned the game on it's head and had the Lions on course for their first win in seven league games. However, once again Millwall squandered a lead at home as a late double from David McGoldrick handed the Blades all three points in South London.

Neil Harris was pleased with his sides performance at West Brom but said his side needed to return to basics and that was reflected in his chosen starting 11. Aiden O'Brien returned to the starting lineup after being on the bench at The Hawthorns and it was the familiar duo of Lee Gregory and Steve Morison up front.

Sheffield United looked like a team that were high on confidence, their passing was crisp and they attacked well as a team and it was them to had the first chance of the game, an intelligent ball over the top by Chris Basham was plucked out of the air by Sharp who held of Byron Webster and got his shot away which was well saved by Ben Amos.

That woke the home side up who then forced a succession of corners but failed to hit the target with any of them but it woke up the home crowd who begun to get behind their side. Ryan Lenoard is still getting used to Millwall but endorsed himself to the Lions faithful by picking up a booking after a late challenge on McGoldrick.

26 minutes in and the home crowd were furious after referee Andy Davies awarded the visitors a penalty. Shaun Williams was penalised for handling the ball, the problem was not only was the midfielder outside the box he was a matter of yards away from the ball, meaning he could well feel a bit unfortunate to have that given against him. Sharp stood up in front of the Cold Blow End and saw his penalty saved superbly by Ben Amos, justice some would say.

That got the crowd up and Williams then tried his luck from distance but Henderson was equal to it. It looked as if it would be all square at the break but Sharp would not be denied his goal.

Mark Duffy was given too much time and space and delivered a ball into the box for Sharp who got between both Millwall's centre halves to nod past Amos from eight yards out as United led at the break.

Millwall started the second half on fire and were back on level terms within two minutes of the restart. A deep corner from Shaun Williams was headed into the far corner by Jake Cooper. The turnaround was complete just two minutes later after Ryan Leonard played through Lee Gregory who poked the ball past Henderson and into the far corner to score his first goal since the opening day.

Aiden O'Brien could have added a third after great work by Steve Morison but the former was only able to find the bottom tier of the stand. That proved crucial as United fought their way back into the game. Amos was forced into a good save from Freeman before the game changing moment.

Shaun Williams gave away another penalty, again questionable this time on Duffy, as Sharp failed from the spot. McGoldrick was given the job to beat Amos and he did sending the former Manchester United man the wrong way and the mood changed.

It was all United now and they had the ball in the net through Sharp but he was ruled offside. United won it in the 89th minute when McGoldrick was left all alone in the box and he slotted home Duffy's cross to give the visitors all three points.