MATCH REPORT: Wrexham 3 – 1 Gateshead

Wrexham returned to top of the National League as they beat Gateshead 3-1 at the Racecourse Ground.

It was goals from Walker and Gateshead defender Kerr that set Wrexham on their way to a fifth consecutive home win until a late scare as Armstrong slotted home from close range  to add a tense ending to the game before Pyke secured all three points for the Red Dragons.

Rigg gained Gateshead first opportunity of the match following a fairly quite opening when he dragged his shot just wide of the post from inside the area. Wrexham then went up the other end and gained an opportunity of their own as Jennings tried a shot from outside the area which had plenty of power but was too close to the Gateshead keeper.

It was Wrexham who broke the deadlock early on as Rutherford made a darting run into the Gateshead area drifting past a defender before his low driven cross deflected off Kerr’s leg into the back of the Gateshead net to give Wrexham the lead.

Controversy later followed this goal as Pears the Gateshead goalkeeper made a brave challenge on Holroyd as he became free just outside the box was only given a yellow card for taking down the Wrexham striker with a late two footed challenged which failed to get any of the ball.

Gateshead started the second half off brightly as they looked to add a higher tempo to their play, within a minute of the restart Olley managed to test Lainton following brilliant build up play from Gateshead yet failed to test the Wrexham goalkeeper with his effort lacking conviction.

Gateshead looked to build on their bright start to second half and managed to create a chance for their top goal scorer Boden who was set through yet he failed to score against his former side as his shot was parried away well by Lainton.

Wrexham’s first shot on goal in the second half resulted in a goal as Rutherford following a failed corner from Summerfield swung the ball into the area where he found Walker who climbed highest to beat the Gateshead keeper to the ball to head home and give Wrexham a two goal lead.

Gateshead then added a tense last few minutes to the game as Armstrong slotted home the ball following a scramble in the box to give hope to the Gateshead team that they could possibly salvage a point.

Yet Pyke who had come off the bench ensured a well-deserved Wrexham victory as Luke Young won the ball brilliantly in the middle of the pitch and found Pyke with a brilliant pass who managed to get a shot away that found the back of the net.

Following the game Sam Ricketts described the performance a “complete contrast” to Tuesday night’s performance against Hartlepool and the performance was a “step in the right direction in terms of improving.” Questions were raised on why Jordan Maguire-Drew missed out on a squad place having been a regular starter since the start of the season to which Sam answered that Jordan missing out was due to the “caliber of the squad” adding that he did not miss out due to any injury concerns.

Saturday’s win sees the Red Dragons bounce back to top of the National League as Salford move down to third following their 1-1 draw away at Eastleigh having equalised in the 90th minute sees them extend their unbeaten run to sixteen games. Meanwhile for Gateshead this loss sees them move down to eighth as Sutton leapfrog them into the playoffs.