Carabao Cup Round 3 Round Up

Carabao Cup Round 3 Round Up

Last update: 22 September 2017 Tags: Carabao Cup. Categories: Premier League, Championship, League One, League Cup.

The third round of the Carabao Cup (formerly EFL cup) began on Tuesday night with 11 matches taking place.

The opening goal of the round was scored by Angelo Ogbonna for West Ham in their clash against Championship Bolton. The Hammers doubled their lead through Diafra Sakho in the 31st minute as he slotted home from close range. The Trotters were unable to pull any goals back though, and as the game looked set to end 2-0, West Ham struck once again, this time thanks to Albert Masuaku, in the fourth minute of added time.

Turf Moor played host to a Lancashire and Yorkshire head to head as Premier League side Burnley took on Championship high-flyers Leeds in a game that obviously meant a lot to both sets of fans. Both sides fielded weaker teams than are normally seen in the League and this was seen as the teams went in at halftime with the score at 0-0. The first goal of the game came from the visitors as Hadi Sacko raced through on goal with ten minutes of normal time left to play, slotting the ball coolly through the legs of Claret's keeper Nick Pope. The Premier League side equalised in the last minute of the 90 as skipper James Tarkowski was brought down in the Leeds box, with ex-United hitman Chris Wood bagging the penalty. The game looked set for extra time as the teams headed into the final two minutes of six minutes of added time when Tarkowski gave away a soft penalty, which Pablo Hernandez slotted away. That wasn't the only twist yet, however, as with what was pretty much the last play of the game, a Burnley free kick on the edge of the area, Robbie Brady showed his class. The Republic of Ireland international curled a sumptuous ball into the top corner of Lonergan's goal, taking the game into an additional 30 minutes. The game was to be decided from the penalty spot, however, with Leeds scoring all of their penalties and centre-back Tarkowski having his shot saved, sending the Yorkshire team into the fourth round.

Liverpool haven't been enjoying the best of form at the moment, but many fans had been hoping that they would turn that all round by beating Leicester away. The game, much like that at Turf Moor, was all square at halftime as both sides failed to capitalise on chances but the first goal came only twenty minutes into second half, and it was the Foxes who had got it. Shinji Okazaki was able to capitalise on poor defending and slide the ball into the goal. Liverpool keeper Danny Ward was making his first competitive start for the club and he would have wanted to reduce the damage following the goal, unfortunately this was not to be as, with 78 minutes on the clock, Islam Slimani was able to put the ball past the Welshman with a brilliant strike from the edge of the box.

The biggest upset of the day came from Ashton Gate, where Bristol City produced a 2-0 win when they came up against Stoke. The home side should have gone ahead in the first half as Famara Diedhiou burst clear in the Stoke box following a piece of extremely poor defending. The Robins did manage to go ahead five minutes into the second half as Diedhiou redeemed himself for not putting his side in front earlier, with a comfortable header as Matty Taylor hit the post on the counter-attack. Taylor only needed to wait 10 minutes for his name to get on the scoresheet, as he received the ball just outside the box and raced clear to slot the ball into the net to condemn the Potters to defeat.

Two players with the surname Sakho (not counting Leeds’ Hadi Sacko) scored in one night, as Mamadou Sakho netted in the 13th minute for Crystal Palace as they got their first win of the season against a Huddersfield side that is enjoying a fine patch of form in their first season in the Premier League. Unfortunately, the Terriers were unable to reproduce the same outcome that was seen on the opening day of the season as the Eagles managed to hold them off leaving the final score at 1-0.

The other game to run into extra time of the whole round came in the tie between Wolves and Bristol Rovers. The game was completely goalless all through the standard period of 90 minutes, with the only goal coming from Bright Enobakhare. The drama was not finished yet however as Lockyer was dismissed in the final minute of play for Rovers as he tried to stop a late Wolves break from coming to anything.

Meanwhile in the other games across the country, ex-Chelsea loanee turned cult hero Patrick Bamford scored twice to help Middlesbrough beat fellow Championship side Aston Villa, Josh King scored in extra time as Bournemouth defeated Brighton and Tottenham eased past Barnsley as Dele Alli scored the only goal in a game that showcased an attendance of only 24,000 fans, with over 60,000 empty seats in Spurs' temporary home whilst Swansea eased past Reading with a 2-0 as Alfie Mawson and Jordan Ayew scored in the 52nd and 83rd minutes respectively.

The other five games of the round were played on Wednesday, with only one match producing less than three goals.

Chelsea was the highest scoring team of the round as they put five past Championship Nottingham Forest. Kenedy opened the scoring 13 minutes in, with Michy Batshuayi netting his first of a strong hat-trick 6 minutes later. Musonda then joined in on the act making it 3-0 five minutes before halftime. As the teams emerged back for the second half, you won't have blamed the Forest fans for thinking that the game was over, but the scoring was not done yet! It took only 8 minutes of this half for Batshuayi to get his second, the third then coming with four minutes left on the clock as it looked bleak for Forest. A consolation goal did come, however, as Tendayi Darikwa bagged for his local side with one minute of added time played.

Manchester United began their campaign to retain the title they won last season against Championship Burton Albion. The scoring was opened by Marcus Rashford in the fifth minute, his second came 12 minutes later, with Jesse Lingard rounding off the scoring for the first half and leaving the score at 3-0. Anthony rounded out the scoring for Jose Mourinho's men on the hour mark. The game wasn't finished then however as Burton got an injury-time consolation through Lloyd Dyer.

The other three games of the evening produced seven goals as Everton struck three past Sunderland with Dominic Calvert Lewin proving his ability with a brace, Leroy Sane struck two either side of a Claudio Yacob strike to send Manchester City through ahead of fellow Premier League West Brom whilst Theo Walcott was the only goalscorer at the Emirates as Arsenal beat Doncaster, rounding out the places in the fourth round.