Bradford City vs Salford City

Bradford will be left wondering how they haven’t come away with all 3 points after they were pegged back by Salford City, in what was the first tie between the two sides and were left to rue missed chances in front of goal yet again.

In what is the first ever meeting between the two sides, Gary Bowyer’s men certainly started off the brighter side and were certainly on the front foot. With just 2 minutes on the clock, the Bantams broke away and a long ball was pounced on by the speedy Connolly who found Reeves who tried his luck from 25 yards out and forced a good save from Neal in the Salford goal. Minutes later a Reeves corner was met by the head of Anthony O’Connor who headed just over the bar.

The constant pressure from Bradford was relentless. Then came the big chance for Bradford to break the deadlock, another Reeves corner was flicked on at the front post by Connolly and fell onto the head of Mellor who from 6 yards out headed over the bar, when he should’ve really put Bradford ahead.

Salford really struggled to get a foothold in the game and the chances kept on coming for Bradford, with 13 minutes on the clock, the ball fell to Callum Cooke after a Jake Reeves corner was cleared and he struck a powerful effort from 25 yards out which rattled the far post.

At this stage of the game and throughout the first half it was a one-way contest with Bradford dictating all of the play, but with 30 minutes on the clock Salford broke away on the counter attack and the ball came out to Threlkeld whose cross found the oncoming Armstrong who headed over the bar from 12 yards out.

Salford then had another breakaway after Jervis beat Richards-Everton and played a teasing driven cross into the 6-yard box which by passed everybody in the box, this was Salford’s only real spell of play in the first half, in a half which was dictated by Bradford.

The second half carried on as the first left off, it took the Bantams just 2 minutes to finally break the deadlock, Mellor picked the ball up from reeves and jinxed his way past two Salford defenders before sliding the ball to Connolly who played the ball across the penalty area and Pritchard was there to calmly slot past Neal in the Salford goal.

15 minutes later,Salford went on the attack with Maynard who beat 2 city players before firing wide, the referee gave a corner and from the following corner Burgess headed over from 12 yards out. Salford substitute Jones tried his luck from range and struck the top of the bar as the game started to open up with 20 minutes left to play.

On the 78th minute mark, Assante twisted and turned his way past Paudie O’Connor and squared the ball to half-time substitute Rooney who slammed the ball home from 6 yards out. 6 minutes from time Salford were handed a gift, Richards-Everton let the ball go through his legs and the ball found its way to Assante who blazed over the bar.

In the final minutes there was a half chance for Mellor who couldn’t sort his feet out in the 6-yard box and that chance could’ve put the game to bed and that rounded off the Proceedings as the referee brought the game to a close. The Bradford fans and certainly will feel like its 2 points lost, rather than a point gained and boos rang around Valley Parade.

Bradford city ( 3 -5-2)

O’donnell, A O’Connor, P.O’Connor, Richards-Everton, Mellor(c)Reeves,Cooke,Pritchard,Wood,Connolly,Oteh

Subs used: McCartan(77), Taylor(90+1)

Subs not used :Gk Sykes-Kenworthy, Ismail, French,Palmer,Anderson

Salford City (4-4-2)

Neal ,Threlkeld,Burgess,(C)Hogan,Touray,Conway,Maynard,Towell ,Jervis,Armstrong,Assante

Subs used: Rooney(45),Jones(61)

Subs not used: Gk Letheren,Piergianni,Lloyd-Mcgoldrick,Whitehead