Written by Dan Young
With fans already getting excited for the new season and the transfer window open again, we look at 5 players to get Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League
1. Patrick Bamford – The former Championship player of the season didn’t quite cut it last time round in the Premier League, failing to find the net for Palace or Norwich. However, he showed he has enough quality for the second tier and with the Magpies striking options found wanting last season, his added goals next term would be more than welcome.
2. Henri Lansbury – A consistently good player for Forest over the last couple of years showing he can both score and provide assists on a more consistent basis than Shelvey. Lansbury has an exquisite passing range and a brilliant delivery from set pieces. Signing him would finally see Yohan Cabaye replaced.
3. Padraig Amond – Who? A little known Irish striker who has just won promotion back into the Football League with Grimsby, bagging an impressive 30 goals in 40 games for the Mariners. Over the course of the season not only has he wowed Grimsby fans with sublime finishes, but is also known to be a work horse consistently chasing down loose balls and putting defenders under pressure. This guy would be a sure fan favourite!
4. Vedran Corluka – Quite a big name that has apparently been linked with Bayern Munich in recent days, but as many Newcastle fans are starting to believe, with Benitez in charge anything is possible and some big names already agreeing to stay and the future looking bright it might tempt the former Pompey man to join the Magpies, and sure up a very leaky defence, but also add much needed experience to what could be a very young magpies backline next season.
5. Mehdi Abeid – A name that will be familiar to many Newcastle fans having only just recently been sold. Abeid has expressed an interest in moving back to his former club. He didn’t feature much at the Toon but when he did showed he has the ability to pick and make a pass as well as getting stuck in some tough tackles and closing down the opposition when they have the ball.
Those are my 5 players who I believe would most help Newcastle getting back to where they belong in the Premier League. Some notable mentions include James Perch (QPR), Cyrus Christie (Derby) and Steven Caulker (Cardiff). Who do you think The Magpies should sign? let us know in the comments below!